View an apartment in Amsterdam
Congratulations! You have planned your first viewing for a new apartment in Amsterdam. But what is the best way to prepare for this viewing? In this article Expat Rental Scout explains all tips and tricks to get the most out of the viewing.
First of all, it is best to prepare your viewing in advance. Make sure you bring everything you need and dress well. It is important that you give the owner a good impression to increase your chances. Be polite, make eye contact and be enthusiastic about the apartment (in case you like it of course). Take the time to take photos or videos of each room so that you can look back later. Take the following documents with you to be well prepared:
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your resume
- A copy of your employment contract for your work in the Netherlands
- Bank statements for each of the last 12 months
- If applicable, a completed rental request form
Put together a folder with these documents and keep them digitally ready. In this way you can easily show them or e-mail them to the owner or agent.
When it is time to go to the actual viewing in Amsterdam, take the following checklist with you. Although Expat Rental Scout will attend and evaluate the viewing with you, this checklist contains important questions that you can ask the owner yourself.
- What is the monthly rent?
- What is in the rent?
- What other costs are there?
- If required, does the property include parking? If yes, how much does it cost?
- Is the apartment furnished (if you did not know it yet)?
- What is the duration of the rental contract?
- What are the income requirements for this apartment?
- What is the down payment?
- How long is the cancellation period if I want to move?
- Are there problems with the apartment? (for example technical problems)
- Which types of maintenance are my responsibility and which are the owners.
- Who is the contact person for repair or maintenance?
- (If applicable) are pets allowed?
After the viewing Expat Rental Scout will evaluate the viewing with you. If you like the apartment, we will discuss the next step and get all the documents in order!